PDA

View Full Version : The BIG 3....Ford,Dodge and Chevy. Who makes the best trucks?

westtnfx4
03-18-2012, 08:40 AM
Let's keep it friendly here guys. Let's respect everyone's opinion on what truck is on top at the moment. It changes constanly. Some have good years....some not so good. But they are all American trucks amd we love them. So what's your thoughts?

01 D_Max
03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
The Quality GM puts into their trucks interior/exterior and parts is consistently good. They also made a good decision to have the Duramax/Allison combo. And the ride is the most compfortable of any truck for the street.

Dodge really takes pride in putting powerhouse engines in their vechiles. The Cummins is probably the most stout diesel engine out the door from factory, but almost too much for the tranny they combined it with. They sound amazing to me, the closest thing to a big rig. The interior of most or the dodge trucks leave something to be desired. (not including the Longhorn) The top of the line Dodge's are beautiful inside however.

Now Ford has been kinda inconsistent with the Diesel engines, however if I was going to buy a reasonably priced Diesel for work, I would get the 7.3. Their trucks are solid all the way around, and the problem is that you can feel it in the ride. But Ford built a Truck! The drivetrain holds up to almost anything. Although I absolutely hate the way the tranny shifts in the Auto. The interior of most Fords' are not to par of GM, but their top of the line interior is hard to beat.

Having said all this, I would think the perfect truck would be Ford's Frame and Driveline, with a Cummins/Allison Combo.

westtnfx4
03-18-2012, 10:14 AM
That combo would be awesome. I feel that the ford F250 is the nicest in and out of all 3 (as of 2012)outside and the interior is just amazing. I say in the interior section dodge and Chevy are neck and neck. I've never been a big fan of a Chevy interior but as of late they stepped there game up. The new 6.7 looks promising. They all have there pros and cons I guess. If I went and bought a new truck it would be a tough choice for sure :Grenade:

Here is a pic of the new Dodge interior and I have to say its hawt

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn122/chopperabe/6f9066cf.jpg

Bdons-SD
03-18-2012, 02:34 PM
That is a pretty sexy interior. I think dodge really stepped up their game with the 2012 body on the big trucks. they look beastly with some lift and tires. I cant get over how goofy the chevys front end looks, looks all stretched out. Just my opinion. But the interior makes up for it. Im not a big fan of the 09-10 PSD, but the 11+ is sex, along with the interior. Im kind of bummed that they havent really remodeled the truck, meaning from the frame up new, its just had upgrades. Its good for me though because some trim parts that are cool fit my 11 year old truck ha ha.

schroederMP
03-18-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm biased because I love my Dodge....but all off the big three have there pro's an con's. I think they are all a great truck. They are working, pulling machines. I'd drive all 3...but would only buy a Dodge. :D

Bigbluediesel08
03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
IMO, ford has the best truck out there. They are built to work. Yes they have had their share of problems with the diesel engines, but the 6.0 once you bullet proof it, you have a nice a reliable engine.. The 6.4 is a monster, very stout engine and can handle alot of abuse once you delete all the emissions crap.. Tranny can handle lots of power before needing an upgrade..
I like the new rams especially the longhorn edition.. Chevys are nice, but not a really big fan of them.

01 D_Max
03-18-2012, 09:40 PM
Have the Fords changed their Auto Tranny from the 7.3 years? I hate the damn shift points of that thing. But I do hear they are built stout!

Stroked68
03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
You always hear the bad things about a truck more than anything. Im biased as hell cause I bleed blue through and through, even have a Ford tat :D BUT all that aside....

Im very impressed with Dodge. They have really stepped it up. Their trucks are sweet lookin. Our local Dodge dealer had a booth at walmart when we had our bike dealership booth there and got to see their new trucks and man that big horn interior was sweet. Saddle leather and sweet dash. I assume it was the big horn? I like the new front ends, looks tough and fast at the same time. I'd buy a Dodge after a Ford for sure.

GM has one of the best engine/tranny out there. Not a fan of their looks though. IFS shouldnt be in a truck. A friend of ours has a dmax, like an 08 or somethin and hes been through rear ends and front ends on his but he does have alot of bolt ons and that thing is a screamer. Crazy fast and quick for a 3/4 ton monster!

Ford has had lots of issues with their motors. When I was lookin for a diesel, i wasnt gonna get a 6.0. Didnt want to chance it. I settled for the good ole reliable 7.3. Hard to find a low mileage 7.3 and they are highly sought after. 6.0's are monsters stock but can be even better with the upgrades they need to make them bullet proof. 6.4's get crappy mileage but heard good things about them. Dont know much about the new 6.7's. Seems to make great power. Agreed the perfect truck would be a cummins powered Ford with an allison. Almost thought about puttin a cummins in mine BUT you just cant kill these 7.3's. Maybe if mine blew up I would but dont see that happenin anytime soon.

ideezy5
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
:boti: same platform since 01. That says enough :gm:
:pokeowned:

Just my opinion :D

06VT365
03-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Have the Fords changed their Auto Tranny from the 7.3 years? I hate the damn shift points of that thing. But I do hear they are built stout!

Yes, changed with the 6.0 in mid 03. And the 5r100 tourqeshift trannies are pretty stout units also.

my trucks are used for work so for me it would be a studded and deleted 6.0 (flame suit on :D) , with 08-current gm interior quality and steering/handling of gen 3 -current dodges. I stick with 6.0 cause it's a beast when done up right, and I just don't see myself in a fummins conversion.

Stock vs stock I would say the best is a 99-early03 Superduty 7.3...great engine, great chassis, and decent trans. throw in a zf6 speed and it da bomb.

Really depend on what you do with your truck to me.
If horsepower is main goal it would be a dodge...can't beat the cummins for value and performance -although the duramax with tuning is pretty potent too!
Work truck...all ford all the way
Family truck and weekend warrior....gm for it interior and ride quality.

But with the new trucks....it's honestly getting to be a toss up I think...whatever you prefer cause they are all getting very equal I feel.

Bdons-SD
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM

Dont know where you heard that ha ha. the 7.3 tranny is the weak link on the whole truck. I hear anything after 120k is a gift, if you make it to 200 without it going out go buy a lotto ticket ha ha. Ive got 118k... Ill let you know in a few months :jester: My dads has 180k and hes been pretty lucky so far. But ive heard stories of them going out at 60k.

06VT365
03-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Dont know where you heard that ha ha. the 7.3 tranny is the weak link on the whole truck. I hear anything after 120k is a gift, if you make it to 200 without it going out go buy a lotto ticket ha ha. Ive got 118k... Ill let you know in a few months :jester: My dads has 180k and hes been pretty lucky so far. But ive heard stories of them going out at 60k.

My 02 has 134k miles in it. Has had a bullydog 6 position chip on it since 54k miles, and tows all the time, still shifts like a top. Now pre 99 e4od's thats a different story....they are seriously weak!

Maybe I just got lucky! Cause I do have a friend with an 03 that has had several trans issues. Luck of the draw.....kinda like my good 6.0! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket now that ya mention it!:chewie:

ssgjohnson
03-19-2012, 12:13 AM
fordcummins.com

06VT365
03-19-2012, 12:17 AM
:boti: same platform since 01. That says enough :gm:
:pokeowned:

Just my opinion :D

Even with the frames that crack?......i guess they dont learn:33:

tdrive0001
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
I got a full page story y'all need to read... if I can scan it to my computer, ill load it. It will shed A LOT of light on this subject...

ideezy5
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Even with the frames that crack?......i guess they dont learn:33:

:whymewhyme: I understand. I was a loyal ford guy once with a 6.0. Youll wake up one day lol

06VT365
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
:whymewhyme: I understand. I was a loyal ford guy once with a 6.0. Youll wake up one day lol

I almost fell off the wagon about a year ago, I REALLY like the 08-current Sierra styling, Silverado exterior just doesnt grab me, but the Sierra with a an aftermarket wheel, slightly bigger tire and fender flares gets my attention Quick!!!

Anyways, I was im love with one here....looks wise, 08 sierra 2500 with 30k miles, thought for sure I was gunna trade for it, dealer is a friend and he let me take it for the weekend. After hitching up and towing with it I took it back dissapointed. Power was decent, but not what I expected, and it just didnt seem as "stable" towing as either of my superduty's.
But it definitly set the standard in ride quality and interior.

If I ever change carrers and dont have to tow 90% of time I would definitly consider one.
But for my current situation superduty is the only choice for me.

Stroked68
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
I think mine is the original. I have the service records for it from Ford and didnt see a tranny replacement in there. If it is the original I need a lotto ticket! haha.

ideezy5
03-19-2012, 06:34 PM
I almost fell off the wagon about a year ago, I REALLY like the 08-current Sierra styling, Silverado exterior just doesnt grab me, but the Sierra with a an aftermarket wheel, slightly bigger tire and fender flares gets my attention Quick!!!

Anyways, I was im love with one here....looks wise, 08 sierra 2500 with 30k miles, thought for sure I was gunna trade for it, dealer is a friend and he let me take it for the weekend. After hitching up and towing with it I took it back dissapointed. Power was decent, but not what I expected, and it just didnt seem as "stable" towing as either of my superduty's.
But it definitly set the standard in ride quality and interior.

If I ever change carrers and dont have to tow 90% of time I would definitly consider one.
But for my current situation superduty is the only choice for me.

Haha yea I did fall off the wagon. But it's worked out pretty well. I love my truck and I really liked my fords too

westtnfx4
03-19-2012, 07:31 PM
My father in law has 226,000 on his 03 crew cab 4x4 7.3 PSD and it has never missed a lick. It's one of the stronger 7.3's I've drove also. It's just a straight piped and hypertec programmer. It's knocking down 22 mpg's on the hwy as well.

Stroked68
03-19-2012, 08:18 PM
My father in law has 226,000 on his 03 crew cab 4x4 7.3 PSD and it has never missed a lick. It's one of the stronger 7.3's I've drove also. It's just a straight piped and hypertec programmer. It's knocking down 22 mpg's on the hwy as well.

Thats what I want! 22mpg! I dont have a chip or anything and I might be able to get 17 or 18 if I drive slow but when do I ever do that haha.

westtnfx4
03-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Dude all you got to do is exhaust,K&N filter, and a hypertec programmer (they are easy to find on CL and cheap) and you'll be good :peace:

Stroked68
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Already got the exhaust, already got airfilter. Heard k&n's are bad for diesels. I think i'd rather have a chip. Lookin at a DP chip right now. I was gonna wait and get stage one injectors and new glowplugs but I may just get a chip now to squeeze some more mpg at of it.

01 D_Max
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Guys are seeing really good milage from Hypertech on the 7.3's I wouldn't rule it out!

Stroked68
03-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Guys are seeing really good milage from Hypertech on the 7.3's I wouldn't rule it out!

hmmm, im listenin haha. I just always heard chips are better cause they are more customizable for your particular truck. Like engine mods, tranny mods and what yer towing and stuff. Im still deciding.

01 D_Max
03-23-2012, 09:32 PM
My brother has a 02 7.3 and used to have Hypertech, He was getting 22mpg with that, but he bought another truck (same thing with less miles) it had a Programmed Computer with 6 position switch. I think he said T&S Performance??? Anyway... He doesn't see that milage anymore. He says the Hypertech was the way to go for milage.

Big'un
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I had a hypertech on my 04 f250 CC with a 6.uhoh and was gettin 22 , took it off and was gettin 12

01 D_Max
03-23-2012, 10:19 PM
That's what I'm sayin. For a Canned tuner Hypertech really does well.

01 D_Max
03-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Back on topic... Who makes the best trucks? GM. haha

Bdons-SD
03-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Already got the exhaust, already got airfilter. Heard k&n's are bad for diesels. I think i'd rather have a chip. Lookin at a DP chip right now. I was gonna wait and get stage one injectors and new glowplugs but I may just get a chip now to squeeze some more mpg at of it.

Im really happy with my DP man, Im not seein 22, Im getting 18-20, but the shift on the fly, and customizing it to your truck is nice. Plus it has a nifty no start tune. put it on "0" pull the selector off and the truck wont start. Awesome if you leave it parked for a while like im going to be doing for awhile, or you park in a shatty part of town. I hear a lot of people stealing SD's around here.

Stroked68
03-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I just always heard the chips were better, more customizable. Now this hypertech programmer, is it easier to install than a chip and hows the price compared to a chip??

westtnfx4
03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
Back on topic... Who makes the best trucks? GM. haha

:hidesbehindsofa:

I just always heard the chips were better, more customizable. Now this hypertech programmer, is it easier to install than a chip and hows the price compared to a chip??

They both plug in to your ECM. One stays plugged up and one (hypertech) plugs up and you tune the truck with a handheld then you unplug it and your done. If you want the best of both worlds (power and mpg's) you can't beat Hypertech for the price. Plus there home office is located in Memphis TN.....big up's :favorites37:

Bdons-SD
03-24-2012, 12:44 PM
In the research I did My DP cost slightly more than a new canned tuner. The DP you plug into the PCM, theres a little involved, but only took me about half an hour. The DP is programmed to your PCM code, and stays plugged in to the PCM and has a controller wired to it that you run up and mount somewhere on your dash.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o315/wilsnwbord4food/Truck%20forums/DSC02728-1.jpg
the controller is removeable, you can get tunes like the no start I mentioned and also valet tunes that dont let the truck go over 35mphs. You can also get High Idles and abunch of other options.

I had a super chip once (sucked) and it plugs into to the OBDII port, which I think edge tuners do as well. Im not sure about the rest. The only downside to the DP is you cant monitor things, change up your tunes, or run diagnostics or 0-60/1/4 mile times and junk. and if you want more tunes you have to remove it and send it in. They make another controller/chip that has the same tunes and does the same thing but you can pay and download tunes from their website. It was a couple hundred more and I figured Id get all the tunes I want now and get more when my truck is modded eough to handle them.

01 D_Max
03-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh yeah, Hypertech is also a very good Code Reader.

Stroked68
03-24-2012, 09:25 PM
I will check into them. Thanks guys! I have a really old hypertech. Like its the size of a brick and plugs under the dash. Never plugged it in though cause dont those programmers have to be programmed to that particular vin number??

01 D_Max
03-24-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't believe so, They should trade your stock tune for one of the tunes from the Hypertech. Either 30, 60, or 120. I believe... The 60 is the best for all around milage.

westtnfx4
03-24-2012, 09:45 PM
If its vin locked to another truck it won't work on yours. But if the pervious owner of the programmer set everything back to stock it will work on your truck. I can't believe you ain't tried it yet!! :think:

Big'un
03-24-2012, 09:55 PM
i got a sct livewire and a hypertech that are both vin locked :facepalm:

westtnfx4
03-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Bummer

Stroked68
03-24-2012, 11:50 PM
If its vin locked to another truck it won't work on yours. But if the pervious owner of the programmer set everything back to stock it will work on your truck. I can't believe you ain't tried it yet!! :think:

Im scared to try it and mess my truck up haha. I dont know crap about programmers or chips haha. I think its out of an 01.

Bdons-SD
03-25-2012, 12:35 AM
Should work on your truck. dont quote me on it, try it at your own risk :jester:

westtnfx4
03-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Im scared to try it and mess my truck up haha. I dont know crap about programmers or chips haha. I think its out of an 01.

It will not mess it up. It will say it cant read it if it's vin locked. If its not it will prompt you to continue the program.

01 D_Max
03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
It will not mess it up. It will say it cant read it if it's vin locked. If its not it will prompt you to continue the program.

x2

No worries, it will either work or not, but you wont have any problems if it doesnt work.
Just follow the program if it works, and do not interupt it for any reason. Even if you forget to do something it says to do. It will just make you start over. And if you do inturupt it, it could erase everything.

Stroked68
03-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Well maybe I will try it just because i already have it. I think i still have it.

Bdons-SD
03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Let us know!