PDA

View Full Version : My bulletproof tow rig build.

06VT365
03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
So after 134k realativly trouble free miles, I am starting to have some injector issues. So i figure now is the time to bulletproof my 2006 F350.

I tow pretty much everyday. Anywhere from 5,000lbs to the ocassional (once or twice a month for short distance) 27,000ish lbs. I would say my average tow weight is around 10,000lbs.

My plan is as follows:

Install the EGR delete I have had sitting around for 2 years!
Flush Coolant system before tear down - Refill with ELC after re-assembled
Have heads checked over and milled it needed, and valvle job
ARP's
New OEM Gaskets
Upgraded Stand pipes and dummy plugs
Upgraded Turbo supply and drain lines
Rebuild Oil Cooler
Warren Diesel 155/30's or maybe 50%'s
GoGo Stage 1 Intake -(not sure on this as its a lot of money and I can always do it at a later time, not to mention some of the stories about it taking months to get!)
Powermax Turbo with Batmowheel
Tuning by Matt at Gearhead (going with him this time as I hear he has the best tunes for the powermax.)
Dozers Regulated Return
DF165 Airdog Pump.

My Hopes with this build is to have a reliable 380ish rwhp tow tune, and maybe 475ish rwhp Race tune.

What do ya'll think?

I am really excited to get this going and start the tear down! Just waiting to get some more money so I can order my injectors and powermax! Hopefully within a month or so I can get this started!

Big'un
03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Dam what a list!!! Sounds good to me! :peace:

Bigbluediesel08
03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Nice build bud. I ordered a gogo intake manifold about a month1/2 ago, and still waiting for it to get here.

06VT365
03-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Figure I might as well do it all at once! But money may not allow that, but I am sure gunna try!

westtnfx4
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Yeah man that's a hefty list. Prolly going to need all that to make it bullet proof :jester:

I kid I kid.....sounds like a plan to me.

06VT365
03-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Yeah man that's a hefty list. Prolly going to need all that to make it bullet proof :jester:

I kid I kid.....sounds like a plan to me.

Funny! I havent heard "i kid I kid" for a long time!

I know I could do way less, but figure I may as well get it over in 1 shot if posible.

westtnfx4
03-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I agree it looks like you've covered all the bases. Should be one stout beast when your done.

Bdons-SD
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Get to work man! sounds like youre going to have quite the rocket ship when youre done.

06VT365
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Nice build bud. I ordered a gogo intake manifold about a month1/2 ago, and still waiting for it to get here.

Thats my worry, seems to be the case with lots of people! I do have a spare intake laying around, doug said if I provided the core it would be 2 week turn around, but doesn't seem like anybody has got one that quick!

06VT365
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Get to work man! sounds like youre going to have quite the rocket ship when youre done.

Not sure about a rocket ship, but it should pull nice! I would like to go bigger injectors for a better race tune but fear them for towing. Plus I tow everyday, and only run it on the track couple times a summer. Although I wouldnt mind being suprised and seeing 500 rwhp on the dyno when I am done!! Don't think I will have enough injector to get there though.

Big'un
03-15-2012, 08:52 PM

we can start callin him Buzz Lightyear :jester:

Bdons-SD
03-15-2012, 11:34 PM
you could make him a decal that says "too infinite AND! I gotta take my cab off..." :jester:

Big'un
03-15-2012, 11:43 PM
:jester: easy killa

Bdons-SD
03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Im just jokin... I have nothing against the 6.0, gotta make the shots and take the shots ya know?

06VT365
03-16-2012, 12:16 AM
you could make him a decal that says "too infinite AND! I gotta take my cab off..." :jester:

Thats a good one! Unfortunatly I get to do it all cab on, it sounds way worse than it really is.

Bdons-SD
03-16-2012, 12:17 AM
Hope you have tiny hands!! ha ha

Agjake11
03-16-2012, 12:17 AM
on the gogo call PTP first. theyll get you setup right with it.

plans sound solid but still not a fan of the airdog

06VT365
03-16-2012, 12:26 AM
on the gogo call PTP first. theyll get you setup right with it.

plans sound solid but still not a fan of the airdog

I actually just talked to them today! They sound more reassuring! I go both ways on the air dog....it will probably come down to money in the end. It would be much easier to change that out later than the intake, so I may hold off on the pump and see how it all works out.
Thanks for the input!

06VT365
03-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Hope you have tiny hands!! ha ha

Once you remove the air box on the passanger side its actually quite roomy, well, atleast roomy enough! It is more time consuming, but I dont have access to a lift. Did my buddies last year cab on, and it really wasnt that bad, and we learned a few things to make it easier this time on mine....just hope they work!

Agjake11
03-16-2012, 12:32 AM
id wait and do injectors and RR kit and a Fuel pressure gauge and just make sure the pump is good but stock should flow enough for the 155's

thats my plan. do all the under hood stuff and if i need to then later i can do the a1000 and water separator also and have a complete race fuel system with no factory parts

Bdons-SD
03-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Ha ha, well if you did it once you must know what youre doin!

Agjake11
03-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I actually just talked to them today! They sound more reassuring! I go both ways on the air dog....it will probably come down to money in the end. It would be much easier to change that out later than the intake, so I may hold off on the pump and see how it all works out.
Thanks for the input!

forgot to mention PTP is good people. met with them a few times at their place and a show. very cool guys. erics truck is a beast and the shop that did his single is doing my studs. become friends with those guys also haha

06VT365
03-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Ha ha, well if you did it once you must know what youre doin!

Well, not sure about that! Just have an idea of what to expect now!

Roush PSD Interceptor
03-16-2012, 07:56 AM
I heard you say injector issues,
I saw some info on injector cup leaks
that end up allowing fuel into
the cooling system.

But I take it you are just having fuel management
issues with yours.

06VT365
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Yeah, mine is a miss when cold. Misses real bad when cold, runs decent after oil temp gets up to normal, but it does have a steady miss all the time up around 2500rpm even when warm.

I have run rev-x additive and it helps for a while, but after about 1,000 miles its back. So I just figure its time to replace them.

06VT365
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
well, the extra set of heads I have had sitting around have been at the machine shop for about 6 weeks now waiting to get magnafluxed and checked for flatness, hopfully get them this week, and hopefully they are not cracked!!

I have decided to pass on the AirDog for now, just doing the Regulated Return while its apart.

I already have the OEM Headgaskets, upgraded turbo oil supply and drain lines, ARP's and oil cooler are on order and should be here next week, and I have decided after to talking to Jesse Warren to do his 175cc/Stock nozzle injectors.

So I need opinions now......I can really only afford either the GoGo Intake or the Powermax Turbo with batmowheel.

What are your thoughts? I go back and forth, Kinda leaning toward the intake as the turbo will be much easier to change later once I get more $$$ saved. But I also think sometimes maybe I should do the Powermax and just not do the intake at all, as I don't know if it will benefit me enough to justify the $1,100 as I am not building a race truck, just a reliable D/D and Tow vehicle.

What do you guys think?

Agjake11
05-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Matt @ cutting edge diesel has two used gogo intakes for 850 each right now, why batmowheel?

id do powermax first and then later when you change the nozzles on your injectors do the intake and 68mm powermax modification from RCD or dozer

06VT365
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Yeah, the more I think about it I will probably do the powermax. Unless I magically come up with extra money before I tear it down!

I was thinking about the batmowheel just cause most people seem to really like it, but I may wait cause I dont know that I need it really. I think with the right powermax tune it really doesnt make much difference. my buddy has a batmowheel on his stock turbo and it made some midrange difderence, but he isnt sure it was $400 worth

I may have to check with cutting still.....cause sticking with stock nozzles saves me about 650 on Injectors, if I put that toward the Intake I could do it all at once still.......but probably not ;)

SUPERxDUTYxV10
08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
sound like its gonna be really fun after that!!

Midnight Smoker
08-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Any updates!?!?

06VT365
09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Unfortunately no update! Been so stinking busy I can't get time to do anything on it seems like!!!