PDA

View Full Version : hp/torque mods

UTAHFORD
04-26-2012, 10:49 PM
obviosly there are the quick and easy three, exhaust, CAI, and chip/tuner. what else is there for our diesels that doesnt cost two arms and three legs

Bdons-SD
04-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Nothing really, turbo and injectors are next for me.. unless the tranny goes then Im building that up.

tdrive0001
04-26-2012, 11:23 PM
On the electronic engines, not much. The p-pump Cummins have a few tricks you can do for free to bump the fuel up... Still need the cai and turbo mods to get the most out of it... not to familiar with the powerstrokes and the early gm diesels suck too bad to worry with...

UTAHFORD
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Nothing really, turbo and injectors are next for me.. unless the tranny goes then Im building that up.

lot of money for either one

UTAHFORD
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
On the electronic engines, not much. The p-pump Cummins have a few tricks you can do for free to bump the fuel up... Still need the cai and turbo mods to get the most out of it... not to familiar with the powerstrokes and the early gm diesels suck too bad to worry with...

you're lucky injectors are alot cheaper for your truck my brother in law just did his 2000 ram for like 600 for 80hp injectors

crackerjack
04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
you could polish the heads. if you know what you're doin, have a steady hand, and are patient then you'll have no problem doin it yourself. experienced guys can do it fast but they do it everyday, if you tackle it yourself you can do it just watch alot of vids on youtube, talk to some engine builders, and take it sssslllllloooooowwwwww and eeeeeaaaasssssyyyyyy. and remember you can always take more away but cant add it back

crackerjack
04-27-2012, 12:35 AM
can also do better fluids in engine, trans, t-case, and rearend. you can actually get a few extra hp and tq to the ground doin that and pick up between 1-3 mpg.. not sure how your CAI is but if you have a pipe drawing the fresh air from below the bumper, then you should pick up a a little performance (just remember to disconnect it before ya go muddin)..less restriction on the fuel system, check all your filters and connection points. personally i dont like quick connect fittings, i believe it adds a restriction point in the fuel system, so i always cut em out, flare the ends, and go the route of AN/pressure fittings.. do a flush and fill on your coolant system..you can also port and polish your intake horn or whatever it is they use on ford and you exhaust manifold too, if your brave enough to tackle it you could polish your exhaust housing on your turbo too. if you do it i would just stay a few millimeters away from the edges of the wheel housing, just to make sure ya dont slip and damage anything....there are a ton of things ya can do for a couple extra hp/tq here and there and they are normally the most commonly over looked things

crackerjack
04-27-2012, 12:49 AM
oh yeah i'm also a believer in 4X70 AC

UTAHFORD
04-27-2012, 01:24 AM
lol sweet ideas good to know

schroederMP
04-27-2012, 02:14 AM
There is also Water/Meth injection...I know for Cummins they are between $300-$600...they "claim" to give you 70-100hp. And it cools your EGTs whick is a plus

tdrive0001
04-27-2012, 10:46 AM
you're lucky injectors are alot cheaper for your truck my brother in law just did his 2000 ram for like 600 for 80hp injectors

Yep, the 12 valve injectors are cheaper. The injectors I'd like to have are about $500 each...

Bdons-SD
04-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Yeah, it's like 1500 for a good new turbo and another 1200 for some stage 2 injectors. I'm goin to have to look into that water/meth injection though. Saw one on CL for 200.