PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse..kinda...

06VT365
04-09-2012, 11:10 PM
Ok, so several months ago I had to get new tires. I had previously run Toyo open country a/t 305/55/20's. Great tire, got 80k miles outta them...towing, plowing snow, etc. Probably 65% highway driving with at least 10k pounds in tow. So I was very impressed.

Well.......I got bit by the "gotta have something more aggressive look" bug, so this time I went with Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's 295/65/20. I have about 4k miles on them so far and am beginning to think I made a mistake....:whymewhyme:

I love the look of the tires, and they are great for a mud terrain, not to noisy, ride good, and all that. But I do lots of highway driving while towing and just think that in would be better going less aggressive. The trails tend to wander a little when loaded, and of course are wearing fairly quickly, quicker than I though anyways.

So I am considering going to Nitto durra grapplers.....http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nitto/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=40428&utm_source=FroogleCSE&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=FroogleCSE

Thought about going back to A/T's also, but I am doing more and more highway towing and hauling so I think the durra's would be my best value even though I would like the more aggressive A/T.

What do you all think????

Bdons-SD
04-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Ive put about 2k on my bfg ats and havent noticed any wear, I still have some little nubbies ha ha. They were great on the wallet too for a 35 inch tire.

Check out the terra grapplers, I had those on my f150, didnt have them for too long before I sold it, but they are pretty equivalent to the toyo ATs without as big a price tag and a little more aggressive sidewall. Im not too sure on the wear habits of those on a 1 ton though.

06VT365
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I have looked at the terra's, my brother in-law is a sales manager at a wheel and tire shop here, and their experience with them hasn't been good on the 1 tons. They wear great on 1/2 tons and gasser 3/4 tons but the diesels tend to tear them up I guess, especially towing heavy a lot. The best he has seen is 35k miles on a 1 ton....that's 1 year of miles for me...:whymewhyme:

That's why I ended up spending the extra cash on the Toyo A/T's last time. But now nobody sells the Toyos locally. :hands:

Just seems like most A/T's aren't going to last over 40k miles with my kind of use, which is about I should get outta the Trails I have now, but I don't like their highway manners. So I am just thinking an all season tire like the Durra would be better suited for my needs.....even though they don't look cool!!!

westtnfx4
04-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I've had the Trial Grapplers and they were good tires. They are a little softer (hence less noise) but they hold up good. Toyo MT's last longer for highway driving. I've had nearly every kind of MT there is so if you need advise holla at me.

crackerjack
04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
i need advise west. which MT's should i get

Bdons-SD
04-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I have looked at the terra's, my brother in-law is a sales manager at a wheel and tire shop here, and their experience with them hasn't been good on the 1 tons. They wear great on 1/2 tons and gasser 3/4 tons but the diesels tend to tear them up I guess, especially towing heavy a lot. The best he has seen is 35k miles on a 1 ton....that's 1 year of miles for me...:whymewhyme:

That's why I ended up spending the extra cash on the Toyo A/T's last time. But now nobody sells the Toyos locally. :hands:

Just seems like most A/T's aren't going to last over 40k miles with my kind of use, which is about I should get outta the Trails I have now, but I don't like their highway manners. So I am just thinking an all season tire like the Durra would be better suited for my needs.....even though they don't look cool!!!

Check out the BFG at's they're nothing special, but in my experience so far they have been great on the trails, excellent in the snow and awesome all around driving. I only paid $1000 bucks for all 4 so even if you don't see the 80k you're lookin for at least you didn't pay an arm and a leg for em. I'm close to Seattle so tires my be a little more expensive out here for me. my buddy had them on his ranger, paid 500 bucks for a ill set of 31s and got 75k out of them. That's ranger though ha ha. They're worth a looksie.

westtnfx4
04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
i need advise west. which MT's should i get

You going to be doing mostly pavement but want a mean look?

Stroked68
04-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I've had the Trial Grapplers and they were good tires. They are a little softer (hence less noise) but they hold up good. Toyo MT's last longer for highway driving. I've had nearly every kind of MT there is so if you need advise holla at me.

I've been searchin for some new tires also. I daily drive my truck and tow lots. I want somethin that looks meaner than my michelens and is more of an a/t tire. I priced some Hancooks. $215 a piece. The equivelents in firestones were $225 a piece. Im open to other brands but dont really want to spend a lot. Just somethin that will last a long time. I run 285/75/16's and kinda wanna stay that route for now.

Big'un
04-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Toyo mt for driving

yz85rider2002
04-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I love my BFG ats. They have performed great so far

06VT365
04-10-2012, 11:12 PM
BFG must've changed something, with all the good things you guys have to say about them. I have never success with them in the past. I have rugged trails on my 02 with 15k miles on them and they ain't Gunna make it 10 more I don't think.

I had at ko2 on it before them an barely made 30k. Hmmmmm this is a hard decision!

crackerjack
04-10-2012, 11:55 PM
You going to be doing mostly pavement but want a mean look?
gonna be doin alot of pavement poundin and towin but i'm also gonna be spendin alot of time on powerline roads, pastures, fields, and various other pretty muddy and deep hole places. i'll even be pullin some heavy trailers through some of the fields and powerline roads so i need somethin thats got good towin manners (for a MT), good wear for a MT (i realize MT's are not gonna last near as long as AT's), and a damn good bite in the mud. and yeah aggressive lookin would be nice lol

Bdons-SD
04-11-2012, 12:17 AM
BFG must've changed something, with all the good things you guys have to say about them. I have never success with them in the past. I have rugged trails on my 02 with 15k miles on them and they ain't Gunna make it 10 more I don't think.

I had at ko2 on it before them an barely made 30k. Hmmmmm this is a hard decision!

I havent had them for long on my 1 ton, I havent had any consistent weight behind it either so Ill let you know in 6 months ha ha.